Facilities & Resources
Facilities & Resources
Q. Do I need insurance to film on state property? (California)

A. Yes, the level of coverage is one million dollars ($1,000,000) for general liability insurance. If an auto is required, it is one million dollars ($1,000,000) for automobile liability insurance. For filming activities that involve aerial work and aircraft, the coverage is five million dollars ($5,000,000) and the State of California must be named as an additional insured. The insurance certificate must be written in English and the denomination of funds stated in United States dollars.

Q. My script calls for pyrotechnics and/or explosions. Do I need a special film permit? (California)?

A. All special effects must be indicated on the state film permit. Any filming activity that requires the use of flammable materials, explosive devices or open flames is considered a special effect. The State Fire Marshal reviews these types of requests before a film permit is issued. The State Fire Marshal may assign local fire department staff to be on location to monitor pyrotechnic activity.

Al Adams
State Fire Marshal Liaison
Mobile: 213.700.5884
Email: al.adams@fire.ca.gov

Q. I've wrapped my production. I want a signed release for those rights, how do I obtain it? (California)

A. The State considers an approved, issued CFC film permit to be your legal approval to use the State locations and images in your project in perpetuity. The CFC film permit, in most instances*, takes the place of a location agreement or signed release.

*California Departments that require both a CFC film permit and a location agreement:

Q. I want to film in a court room. Aren't they all State property? (California)

A. Although State property, the CFC does not issue permits for the court system. Please click on the link below for more information.
   News & Events